Monday, May 30, 2011

Updates

I have some baby updates and pictures, but I was doing a little research on some things and came across some very interesting facts.   Doesn't leave us very good odds at getting very many show babies, but we will keep our fingers crossed.    If I breed Lilly and Oliver or Kirby my odds of getting a show bunny are 50% but I shouldn't have any that will die right away.   If I breed Lola or Lila with Oliver and Kirby my odds are as follows:  
  • 25 percent peanuts. These will all die, of course.
  • 50 percent true dwarfs. These are your keepers.
  • 25 percent false dwarfs. You might consider keeping as a brood doe. The bucks most likely you’ll sell as pets.   This is what Lilly and Max are.
So, you would think that might not be so bad of odds, 50% correct?  That would be incorrect.   lol.    If I breed Lila and Oliver we have a 33% chance of getting a seal, which is what Lila and Chipper are, which are not showable.   And we have a 66% chance of getting a Siamese Sable, which would be showable but what if that Siamese Sable ends up being a false dwarf or a peanut, then not good.   So, then I calculated to see what we would get if we bred Lilly and Oliver/Max and I thought it was really weird that we would get so many black rabbits from that combination, and from that combination we will get 66% black and 33% siamese sable, not sure where the lilac comes in...lol.  It says that if I breed Lilly and Kirby we will get 100% Lilac so I am interested to see when we breed her to him next.   I am also anxious to try Kirby and Lola because it says we will get 100% Smoke Pearl.    And with Lila we should get 100% Siamese Sable.  Evidently Kirby has no say and his color doesn't really mean anything...lol   I'm sure that will not be exact but I guess now we know what to expect.    So, on to the updates.

Lila's babies are now 5 weeks old now.   For sure Chipper will have to be sold, she is a seal color.  So far Hopper is not doing too bad, his ears are a little long, but we will see.   I am really liking Kiki and I think she will be the one we keep for now.


Lila - after much research it appears she might have what is called hutch burn which is just from not very good bathroom habits.   Should be able to clear it up at home and will have to just keep checking on her.


Lila and her crew

Hopper
Chipper

Kiki



Lola's baby is 3 weeks old now.   I think she is Smoke Pearl but her ears and legs aren't getting very dark yet.   Hopefully soon.

I put all the babies together for awhile to play and looks like they were playing piggy pile....lol

Lilly's 2nd litter is now 8 weeks old.    Ollie, the black boy should be going to his new home next week.   He is so shy and everytime you go around him, he just lays flat on the table...lol   Poor little guy.

Here is Nova.  She is the one we are keeping out of this litter for awhile.   Not overly excited about her and not even sure if she is a good color, will find out  next weekend, but for now we will see how she does.


Lolli and Squirt are 3 months old now.  Squirt is not any better but is still eating and seems to sort of get around, so as long as we have Lolli and they get along, we will keep him.   So far I still like the way that Lolli looks, her ears are getting a little long, but we will see this weekend how she does.
Squirt and Lolli, you can see how much smaller Squirt is than Lolli and how much nicer his ears are.   Too bad he can't be a show bunny, I think he would do fabulous

Lolli

I put Lilly's nestbox in and right away she jumped in and started re-arranging which is usually a very good sign.  We should know maybe tomorrow, in the next couple of days if she's just faking.  She tends to run late so I will give her until Thursday.



Haven't seen Dolly or Jake much in here so I thought I'd take a couple of pictures of them to put on here.   Looks like Jake is sticking his tongue out at me....not nice Jake...lol



I planted a bunch of flowers the other day and thought I would share how pretty they turned out.










That's it for now......stay tuned.  I am sure there will be more updates after the show next weekend.  So far I think Lolli, Nova and Lulu will go.   Not sure if Oliver's coat will be good enough to go by then.   And I think Lila's babies will be too young...drat.   


No comments:

Post a Comment